Thursday 1 January 2015

Evidence of videos I admire

These are just a few examples of music videos that I admire. I admire all three of these videos for different reasons such as the message that the video conveys, the aesthetic look to the video or just the overall editing. As I am still unsure about ideas for my own music video, hopefully watching these other existing music videos will help me think of some ideas and how I would want my video to achieve the same standard of being admired by others. Through this research, it has helped me to see what makes music videos have that factor and therefore can take in ideas for my own video.
 LET GO FOR TONIGHT - FOXES
This music video is one that I really admire because of the use of its aesthetic display. The video uses a range of different bright colours to depict a happy and energetic vibe which I really like about video along with its contrast from the beginning of the video which was all white. It’s use of mis-en-scene is also what had enticed me to watch the music video because I like the slow motion effects on the coloured food being thrown as it makes a great effect in the way that the video looks. I also admire the idea that her music video is relevant to the genre of pop which is what her song is. This also helps to make it audience appropriate as from looking at the video, people can easily tell the her target audience is of a young population. The way that the video is set out is effective as it entices this particular audience. Her video is also very postmodern as its use of colour can be tied in with Andy Worrall's artwork.

 BLUE JEANS - LANA DEL REY
This is another music video that I also really admire because of its aesthetic display. However this video contrasts from ‘let it go for tonight’ as it uses a grayscale instead of the use of colour. This is effective as it reflects the mood of the music video as the song is quite slow pace and expresses a great deal of emotion. The use of the water’s reflection also makes a good shot for the music video as again it depicts the emotion of the video very well as the water could be a significance for the representation of cleansing of sins or of a sad nature. It’s wide use of shots as well to emphasize the dramatic effect is also what I really like about the music video as it helps to demonstrate the narrative of the video very well. Lana Del Rey is a very unique artist in the music industry as she likes to use a lot of postmodern aspects to her music videos that are full of Intertextual factors. However it appears as this one differs from all of her other ones as this video includes less Intertextual factors and is more on the simplicity side. This is another reason why I admire this video because it goes away from Lana’s stereotypical artist persona and helps the audience to discover other sides of the artist. 

 PRETTY HURTS - BEYONCE
Beyoncé is a very popular and well-known artist who is very powerful in the music industry today. Her music video for the song ‘Pretty Hurts’ is one which I admire due to its message and how it is portrayed well to the audience. The music video and the song both received positive reviews by critics who generally praised Beyoncé's acting, the cohesion between the video and its lyrical content as well as the meaningful message behind it. In the video, Beyoncé describes the sickness behind perfection and the damaging effects to the body it usually has, something that occurs mostly with eating disorders. The song sends a message about increasing a person’s self-esteem and self-love as well as respecting a person’s character instead of the physical looks. This is why I admire the video as its message through the video’s narrative is very inspirational to her audience and it matches the lyrics of the song perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment